Mutterhole (also known as Mutterholme) forms part of the area now covered by the sewage works.

A report from the Todmorden Almanac include in January 1864 the Rev.A.Blackburn was killed by a locomotive at Mutterhole crossing. A report from the Todmorden Almanac in January 1864 states that in 1855 a "Mr Royston Oliver was was set upon by six or more villains on or near to the road to his dwelling house in Mutterhole. Mr. Oliver was robbed of his gold watch, appendages and other articles and 13 shillings in silver. A reward in this case of £50 was offered jointly by the Heptonstall and Todmorden Prosecution societies".


The woods behind Mulcture Hall that follow the railway line are called Common Bank Wood, they were owned by the Stead family at Mulcture Hall.

The Todmorden Almanac in January 1864 states that the Rev. A. Blackburn was killed by a locomotive at Mutterhole crossing. In August 1904 the girders for a new railway bridge at Mulcture Hall crossing were put into place in the presence of a large crowd of people. The bridge was opened for the use of foot passengers on 20 Jan 1905 and was considered a great improvement to the level crossing which was formerly in use there.

In the 1920s a haul of cloth which had been stolen from Dan Crabtrees dyeworks was found in Bellcorner cave in the woods.


Mulcture Hall is a small hamlet on the North hillside above Jumble Hole Clough. The main house was built in about 1800 by the Stead family, owners of Jumble Hole Mill and Spa Mill. The house frontage is of a later date. The Stead family have occupied the house until the present day.

Behind the big house are two dwellings. One has been converted from the old coach house, the other was formally two back to back cottages knocked together. The Coach house was used by Naze Bottom band for practice.

This page was last updated April 2009